Ever have one of those favorite recipes that you absolutely love, but can't find? Hubby asked me to make coleslaw this week, and this is his absolute favorite. I searched all over this afternoon, and couldn't find what I'd done with this recipe ANYWHERE. I searched through all my cookbooks - where had I stuck it? Finally, after searching through a second time, I found it. Phew!
So, to make sure I never lose it again, I'm typing it up. What's different about this recipe is that it's not made with mayo, but cider vinegar and olive oil.
Sweet & Sour Coleslaw
- 1 head cabbage, finely shredded
- 1/2 medium red onion, chopped fine (optional - I throw it in if I'm making the day before, otherwise I leave it out, since Hubby hates onions)
- 1 carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 3 Tbs sugar (sometimes I use honey, instead)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp celery seed
- Combine cabbage, onion, and carrot in a big bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, vinegar, sugar, salt, and celery seed.
- Add the dressing to the vegetables, and toss until the vegetables are well coated.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Toss again before serving.