Tuesday, November 4, 2008

TT: Baked Brie en Croute

The first Friday of every month, my friends and I all gather together to have dinner together. This month's theme is appetizers. Hubby and I were discussing what to bring last night, and he reminded me of this recipe I used to make years back. It's really elegant looking, and incredibly simple, as well as delicious.

I use Pepperidge Farm puff pastry sheets because they're easy to find, but you can use any brand. Sometimes I used to get creative, and cut out shapes with the remaining dough to decorate the top of the brie.

Baked Brie en Croute

  • 1 sheet puff pastry
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tbsp. water
  • 1/2 cup apricot or raspberry preserves or jam (I have boysenberry in my cupboard right now, so I'm debating using that)
  • 1/3 cup dried cranberries (my sister once suggested using diced dried figs, but I'd soak those first to soften them)
  • 1/4 cup toasted sliced almond (I have a ton of pine nuts right now, so I'm going to substitute those)
  • 1 (13.2 ounces) Brie cheese round (Costco has these for a good price)
  • crackers

  1. Thaw the pastry sheet until it's easy to work with - about 30-40 minutes at room temperature.
  2. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
  3. Mix the egg and water in a small bowl.
  4. Unfoldthe pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface. Roll the pastry sheet into a 14-inch square. Cut off the corners of the sheet to make a circle, and save scraps.
  5. Spread preserves on the dough to within 1-inch of the edge. Sprinkle the cranberries and nuts over the preserves.
  6. Place the cheese in the center of the dough. Brush the edge of the dough with the egg mixture.
  7. Fold 2 opposite sides over the cheese. Trim the remaining 2 sides to 2-inches from the edge of the cheese and fold them up onto the cheese. Press the edges to seal.
  8. Place seam-side down on a baking sheet. Decorate the top with the pastry scraps, if desired. Brush with the egg mixture.
  9. Bake for 20 minutes or until the pastry is golden. Let stand for 40 minutes - 1 hour.
  10. Serve with the crackers.

Enjoy!

6 comments:

ModernMommy said...

mmmm I love baked brie and this recipe sounds really yummy!

Aunt Julie said...

I've always been a Big Brie Fan. Did you try this out in Albuquerque?

Just Another New York Mommy said...

I love baked brie! Every time I try to make it though, either the puff pastry is underdone or the brie leaks out and gets burned =\

Unknown said...

oooooh you have completely sold this cheese snob! I love brie, and I have had it baked withpecans and brown sugar which was awesome, but cranberries sounds delicious too.

The Power of Housewife Word of Mouth

Aunt Julie said...

BTW, Aunt Julie's hosting another *Recipe Week* over at my place, starting today. Remember how yummy the last one was?

Mira said...

Wow this sounds appetizing! I belong to a Dinner Club too and we bring dishes by theme as well. Since the members come from different countries/cultures, aside from the theme dish we recommend that it should also be from their country of origin.
Btw, if you get the chance pls grab this fun tag http://www.i-exhale.com/2008/11/some-random-facts-about-me.html
Have a great day!

 
ss_blog_claim=acc74a8c5ab67035e621c579fb5786a8